My MJ

30.6.04

The Notebook

I don't normally like watching tearjerkers (the only jerking off I do is in the bathroom with a Maxim mag and a roll of tissues), but I watched "The Notebook" with Jo this past week. I expected to go into the theater, watch the previews, and then sleep like a baby, but I was pleasantly surprised by the flick. It actually had a story, and character development, and some wonderful performances. The leading lady was quite pretty, and had a smile to die for. The leading man wasn't as convincing, but I would have rather had him act the part than a melodramatic spunkhead like Tom Cruise. I was thoroughly impressed by the characters in their elder state. James Garner was both touching and believable as the man who is in love with his wife even though she is in the advance stages of Alzheimer's and even dementia. Gena Rowlands played the part adequately, as a woman who constantly wakes up not knowing where or who she is. So here I was, a grown man with actual testicles, crying like a little girl through 3 parts of the movie. Here's an equation for you:

Rain + redemption + 1-2 characters crying and looking up to the sky with hands raised high = a cryfest for little ole' me.

I cried like a bitch during Shawshank Redemption when Tim Robbin's character escaped the prison after mucking through a mile of shit, and came out the other side in what seemed like a monsoon, raising his arms to heaven, ripping his shirt off, all the while having the rain pounce off his body and lightning illuminate the look of joy on his face.

I cried again when Noah and Allie are caught in a rainstorm in a canoe and can do nothing but look at each other, cry, and question why he hadn't written her. You dumb bitch, your whore of a mother kept his letters from you. 365 of them to be exact. And when was the last time you got your own mail? I thought these malicious thoughts all while I was balling my eyes out.

But more likely than not, the reason why I cried during this movie is because their love reminds me so much of my love for Joanne, my wife. From the first month of having her ignore me so that she didn't have to deal with her own feelings, to the year when we were apart, to the moment we got married, through the first three years of fighting, and to the trials and tribulations we are going through now, there is no more perfect a love than the love I have for her. And if there is, it is only surpassed by the love I will have for her as we grow old together. Allie and Noah had a passionate relationship. Yes, they fought, but they always found a way to forgive each other.




Anyone who knows me knows that I love myself more than anything. I mean, how can I not, I'm da shitz. It's just a front. And a big joke. I just like to laugh at myself. I don't want them to know that I am really vulnerable, sensitive, and most of all, scared, to be without the person I really love the most. I never thought I could look at another person and love them more than I love anything in this world. But when I wake up and see that face looking back at me, I know that I have nothing to worry about.

Sexiness Love of my life MJ's Website My Kiki Interact