My MJ

31.3.04

Had a garage sale this past wekend, I thought it would be a major hassle, but it turned out to be pretty easy, and rewarding. I left work early on Sunday and Saturday to set up for the sale and post signs on Washington Ave., the main thoroughfare through San Lorenzo and San Leandro. I posted on Craigslist, Jo's forum, Jenn's forum, and even Friendster, but the majority of people that came by probably was just driving through the neighborhood. Many of them seemed like professionals, driving by to look at the goods, and speeding off when they weren't satisfied. Others stayed a while and bargained like a cheap hooker bargains for coke. Here's what I gathered form these people:

80% Mexicans or Latinos looking for some cheap stuff. They came in their old Sentras,nice Landcruisers, decked out Siennas (this one Sienna had chrome spinners on it), and economical Camrys and Corollas. It looked like a run for the border. They were my best customers, bargaining for stuff respectfully, buying in bulk, and taking a bunch of CRAP off my hands.

10% White. Chicks and dudes looking for Home furnishings and cheap Christmas presents. I liked these guys, because they never bargained. One even lived in San Lorenzo since the 50's. He said he owned four houses in the community, but three of them belonged to his ex-wives. We got to talkin' about how he used to work on the farm that our housing development was built on, and how he used to spearfish for aslmon on the San Leandro Creek which is right next to our development. I even gave away a statue of Jesus to a lady who was very appreciative.

5% Black. This one tranny black chick in her dashiki (sic) came with a nice, short, older Latino gentleman. What an odd pairing, I thought. The only other sista I remember was a mom, who left her kid in the car (it wasn't hot), and I made smiley faces and stuff to entertain the 2 year old.

10% Asshole Pinoys. I hate this one especially; they bargain as if their life depended on it, and they lowball you like a Canadian Hooker. When presented a ridiculous offer on an item, I would be curt, bordering on rude, and just say, "No." Take that golden finger and stick it up your shiny ass, pare. Go eat a dog or belt your kids.

5% Nice Pinoys. These are the ones that bargain respectfully, and talk about the old country. And smile and greet you. They come in their Mercedes, buy a shitload of nice crap, and leave you with a feeling of that shit is gonna be put
to good use.

The rest was a hodgepodge. This Indian grandmother scoffed at the price of one of the items, and spoke in her language to her relatives about how unfair the price was. So I didn't sell her jack, even going do far as saying certain items were sold when they weren't. Stick it up your Sari, Punjab MC.

Other than netting 180 bucks in profit, getting rid of a bunch of crap (the majority of which were crap-ass wedding gifts from my Mom and Dad's Forever Dancing friends), and hanging out with Ron, Noel, Arlene, Brady, Vangie, Rich, and my beloved, it was a good study on socioethnic and socioeconomic commerce. Now I actually have room in my garage to put a car in there! Woohoo!

Sexiness Love of my life MJ's Website My Kiki Interact